When I first made these muffins I couldn’t believe how amazing they were! There are so many healthy ingredients, and they’re fluffy, light, and very tasty. Also, the recipe can stand up to a lot of change, so you can easily create your own variations. The original recipe is from Simply Sugar and Gluten Free. Amy’s recipes got me started on gluten-free and sugar-free baking, and she’s got a great collection of recipes!
I’ve made some changes to the original recipe to adopt the ingredients I usually use in baking, like using coconut oil and honey, and have also added flaxseed for some extra fiber.
1 very ripe banana, mashed
1/3 cup applesauce
1/3 cup coconut oil, softened or melted
2 egg whites
3 tbsp ground flaxseed
2 cups baking flour mix
1/3 cup unpasteurized honey, or xylitol
1 tsp vanilla
1 tsp baking soda
1 cup blueberries, fresh or frozen
1. Preheat your oven to 350 degrees
2. Mix the flaxseed, flour, and baking soda together in a large bowl
3. Mix the banana, applesauce, vanilla, and sweetener
4. Beat the egg whites until stiff, about 1 minute
*This adds to the fluffiness of the muffins. It’s a great trick for any other baking that needs help rising!
6. Add in the egg whites and mix until combined
7. Mix in blueberries
8. Pour into a greased or muffin-cup-lined muffin tin and fill each cup with batter to the top.
9. Bake for 20-25 minutes